Thursday 25 March 2010

Early Days

I'm sitting in the VSO office having figured out how to connect my laptop for the first time.I am with 3 other volunteers, all from the Philippines and we are almost through the ICT (In country training) which lasts a week and finishes tomorrow with us opening our bank accounts! I am living in a VSO apartment Frazer Davies Drive, which by local standards is good. There's running water at the moment but we have spare cartons just in case. The water is contaminated. It will give you typhoid and/or dysentry but great for washing and flushing the loo! I try not to breathe whilst washing my hair and face, probably an over reaction but I'm acclimatising!! There is also intermitent electricity maybe 40% of the time? Its hard to tell when you are not there during the day. The word 'Drive' however does not really describe the extremely hilly bumpy dirt track which is my street, only just passeable with a 4x4. I have a 2 minute walk through folks back yards and rocks etc to get to the nearest road, aptly called Main Motor Road where you can get taxis and poda-podas for 15p upwards and there is a bar Balmaya, serving cold beer - yes! Met lots of people so far, VSOs and people working for other NGOs and so its nice not to be alone and starting to make some friends. I'm living with Henning and Fiona who have made me very welcome.

So first impressions of SL? Well, there are so many constrasts. Reasonable houses next to squalid huts, open drains, smells, the HEAT (you constantly sweat). The people are incredibly friendly on the street and always have a smile for you despite the absolute poverty I witness all around me. Freetown is a choatic busy place, lots of street vendors, vehicles (most not road worthy) pipping their horns and the red dust. Lots of things to understand and take in. The beach by town is lovely to walk along, however you cant swim in the sea just here (due to sewage pollution). So many young people, People dressing really smartly.... how do you do that in this heat! Being white here means you are rich and educated apparently and even on the VSO allowance ( a massive £50 per week), its alot in comparison to the average wage.

More soon plus photos...
I'm taking it day by day and doing ok so far

No comments:

Post a Comment