Tuesday 29 June 2010

A minor inconvenience..... and a few monkeys

So the Friday night before last, I'm coming home in a taxi on my usual route from the Youyi Building to Congo Cross, only its later and dark because I had a couple of beers after work. Its a very short drive of 2/3 minutes when there is little traffic. I'm feeling happy and relaxed (yes Tim, the 2 beers helped!!) and looking forward to meeting Kim, the new VSO due to arrive that evening whom I am cooking for and planning how to make her feel at home. As soon as I get in the taxi (which is full) the driver keep saying, 'your door isnt closed, close your door' so I pull at the door put it appears closed to me. The next thing I know, the guy next to me is leaning across me trying to close the door, fiddling with it and making a big thing about the general task of door closing. I protest that I am getting squashed (ie I had a young man lying on me and not in a fun way!!) and I say I'm getting out very soon so please stop trying to close the bloody door! Anyway the taxi pulls over and I get out relieved, only to find out that my bag is slightly open and I've been robbed of my purse and phone.


The following week I chat to Zoe (one of the other VSO volunteers) and discover that she was the victim of exactly the same scam. Of course I had brought a spare phone with me (but failed to note down all the numbers, thanks for them) and after a trip to the Zain shop in town by 10.30am I was back in full communcation with the world!

There is no moral to this story really because Freetown is probably safer than most European cities and this could have happened to me in Macc! I refuse to let this dent my confidence although it has a little. I had a major panic in a taxi last week after dark when it took me the wrong way and into the slums but he had just misheard where I wanted to go, but we had a slight debate (argument) and I got to the right place! Normally, I keep my hand on my bag all the time when using public transport, but I just didnt this time.... but I've stopped being angry with myself and after all, its just a phone and no real harm done. I had 3 years of photos and text messages in that phone and at first I was sad to loose this 'mini' history of my life but you know, it was also cathartic. new start, new phone and all that!!!



Photos accompanying this blog were taken at Tacugama Sanctuary (http://www.tacugama.com/) above Freetown, which I visited a weekend in early June with Gavin and Helen. I didnt get around to blogging about it... Basically rescued chimps roam free and laugh at the cagged humans observing them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carole

    Well another big adventure and first class blog. The taxi scam was awful and you would think someone would have warned you as it must have been going on for some time. I'm glad your not letting it get you down though dear, good for you, as you say, it could and does happen everywhere. Keep the blogs comming and keep saving the world.. Super Carole..!

    ReplyDelete