Tuesday 4 May 2010

Transport and Football!!

I’ve mentioned the Poda Podas and the Taxis a few times but perhaps haven’t mentioned the large number of while 4 by4s around Freetown carrying, NGO workers, high ranking Government officials and some (not many) private citizens. VSO is a charity and so are most NGOs but being we don’t have drivers or big jeeps or even more basic things like fridges! More about being a VSO later, but the only way to get around is to take public transport. This you might think is annoying but I actually rather like it because you meet so many people and get to know the town much better, as you need to know where you are going! And everyone knows that I hate not knowing where I am going (Rosie has nicknamed me 'Map Girl' for obvious reasons)!




I take a taxi to work in the morning. There are two options, you can charter (so you have the taxi to yourself) where you negotiate and agree a price, or you can jump into a taxi going your way for a set price, which is 900 Le (about 16p) and share with others. Poda are the same price but you can go further. Of course, I almost never charter a taxi, having figured out what is ‘one way’ for 900 Le and 2 way, twice the price, but sometimes taxi drivers try it on and you have to stand your ground!. Its easy to get to work but coming back is another matter. All the taxis and Podas come from the city centre are almost always full but as ‘VSOs can spot a lift a 30 spaces’ I somehow manage to make it home and one day I’ll just walk as its not actually that far. Twice I’ve been on the back of motorbike (not recommended) but don’t tell my mother (no helmet) and I also cadge a lift with frankly anyone who will take me to Congo Cross!

Pods and taxis are a source of entertainment for me because of their painted slogans and sometimes how overcrowded and dangerous they are (although that’s not actually funny!) My favourite slogans are ‘God help my boss’, ‘God bless Islam’, ‘Rooney is King’, ‘Safe Journey’, 'Why me' and 'Tottenam Hot Pours' spelt exactly like that!

English Football is very popular here and this is never more apparent than when travelling in a taxi as they always have a sticker or flag of the driver’s favourite team. There are small huts where locals go and watch footy for 1000Le per game. Although I don’t actually bother with football, because of the football mania, I have decided to support Liverpool because (a) I used to live there and (b) Alison would never speak to me again if I chose any other team and (c) Locals think its inconceivable to be English and not be interested in football!. The problem is that I don’t know any of the players but thankfully I haven’t been caught out yet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment