Wednesday 20 October 2010

The crack in the pavement

So I’m in a taxi coming to work last Tuesday and thinking about the fact that (a) I was a bit late for work (b) I hadn’t blogged for a while and what on earth could I write about? (c) The sun newspaper never printed anything about Sierra Leone in July so I couldn’t be a VSO with 15 minutes of fame (or should I check yet again on the website??) and (d) why had I STILL not joined the UN gym (for the outdoor pool!) when half the latest group of VSOs were already members in less than 4 weeks and I’d been here 7 months (and I live closer to the UN than anyone and dented pride! else!!!). So I had lots of really important stuff on my mind.

The only thing I made a decision on was that it might be amusing to do a summary blog of all the daft things I had thought, did and said, since I arrived thus demonstrating how much I know now and how far I had come in this challenging environment in the last 7 months!!

So decision made, I started to mentally list the ridiculous incidents, like thinking that the previous occupant of my room was too lazy to fix the two giant holes in the window nets but had just covered them with wood panels instead, Whereas in fact these were covering the holes that you are meant to use to put your arms through to actually open and close the windows!! Anyway, I arrived at the Youyi Building (my work) and jumped out of the taxi whilst continuing to write the blog in my head, then took a step straight into the sewer between two flag stones. I was lucky not to break my leg and get away with only cuts and bruises. But no gym joining for a couple of days! The moral of the story… look where you are going of course and never think that your own stupidity reduces with age and experience, it doesn’t!

No comments:

Post a Comment