Thursday 8 July 2010

Did I mention the football? And a bit about African meetings

Probably not! But I have to admit to being slightly interested in the whole affair, especially how Saloneans make every match into a big occasion. There is really no need to watch or listen to the match. I could just sit on the balcony and listen to my neighbours etc and figure out what's happening. The whole country was behind Ghana in the quarter finals and Freetown let out several big community sighs, that I'm sure could have been heard upcountry, when those penalties were missed. I listened to the match on the radio. I love the BBC World Service Africa, especially the quote of the morning which often are quirky and dont make sense but never mind! I'll have to write a few down for the blog. So is it Holland or Spain? I have no idea who the locals will support but I'm guessing Spain.

So I'm hosting a dinner party tonight for 7! Its a bit of grand title for pasta and salad, buts the first since I've been living alone and majorily spruced up the flat and here are photos as promised. Its a bit difficult turning a cavenous flat with hardly any furniture into a cosy place, but I'm trying (please admire my homemade cushions!!).
At the moment I am experiencing with a slight amusement (because I went through the same thing) my new UK colleagues settling into the Ministry. Yesterday I went to a big workshop for all Districts for well over 100 people. It was supposed to start at 9am. We arrived 7 minutes earlier and there were only 4 other people there and none of them were the organisers or speakers! It eventually started at nearer to 10am and we were encouraged to take our seats on account of it running a few minutes late!
Meeting etiquette makes me smile. As well as usually starting late, the meetings themselves can go on for an age. The minutes are often long winded but can be quite entertaining! I was once in a meeting with the Vice President just before Free Health Care was launched and it went on for 5 hours without a break! Some people dont ask questions but get up and make long statements. On occasion, some folks openly sleep, others speak on their mobile phones whispering in Krio, 'I'm in a meeting, call later I'm in a meeting'. Making note of actions (who, what, where and when) has got noticably better and somehow things seem to work, not sure how sometimes. Like this workshop. I wrote the programme and it was finalised less than 24hrs before the event, but it wasn't my role to brief the speakers but somehow everyone turned up prepared, with powerpoint presentations!

BLOG requests! Sometimes I struggle to know what to write about so happy to take suggestions! carolergreen@hotmail.com More after the weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment