Thursday 15 April 2010

Hopefully a typical weekend!




Last Friday it was Henning’s birthday bash (one of my flatmates) at the local bar restaurant called Balmaya. Nice food and beers and we played games. Board games are big here (due to general lack of a TV!!) So we played a game called Werewolves. There were 3 werewolves and 14 villagers and it’s a battle for survival (it’s a bit like a sophisticated version of wink murder!). I was a werewolf and survived the longest, by the time I was horribly killed only 4 villagers were left standing. Obviously I have some skills at bluff and deception!!!

Saturday was a relaxing day and I got my computer fixed. It had mysteriously stopped working and I expected the worst, ie thought I'd fried it at Friday's workshop by plugging it into an unprotected socket (voltage fluctuates alarmingly here and can damage almost anything electrical). Luckily there is usually someone here who will help you, this time it was Howard to the rescue. I also visited the UN complex which is at Congo Cross, 5 mins walk from home. They have a big pool (great) and a gym (too sweaty) and I can join for $20 per month. So that’s a sort of plan. Lets see when I get around to it! I love to wonder around the Congo Cross area and see the women with almost anything for sale balanced on their heads, the unroadworthy taxis and podas with all the funny slogans and bursting at the seams with people. I buy fresh, sometimes warm bread at the Congo Cross roundabout for 1000Le (about 15p) and go to the fruit and veg market close to me for a look and possible purchase. Got 4 bananas for 500lLe last week and they were good! I’ve spent 4 weeks trying to buy a nail brush, this has now become a shopping challenge as they are nowhere to be seen!

Sunday was the best day of the weekend with a day trip to River No2 beach. A long stretch of pristine white sand and beautifully warm sea. Bliss doesn’t even touch it. I managed to cadge a lift off Martin from DFID, who has kindly taken pity on us VSOs with no transport as I’m hoping that 3 of us will go to another beach along the peninsula this weekend. I will let the photos speak for themselves when I can t eventually load them.... having some technical problems! Please come back later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment